Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day 11- 15 Villa Montalto

Ciao Tutti,

Again, sorry for the delay in posts! This week has been filled with craziness. So in order to sum it up for you all, I will break it down into days!

Monday: I had school from nine until 12:30 and then I went into the city to find a dress to wear to Villa Montalto, the place where we had our welcome dinner that night :) After shopping, I went home to get ready and took the bus back to the train station with Kelly to catch the bus to our villa. Our welcome dinner was hosted at this AMAZING Villa on the hill overlooking the city. The background of this blog is actually a picture from the villa! When we arrived, we had to trek  up this huge hill but when we got to the top, this crazy palace was awaiting us. It was all very fancy; they served us drinks in nice glasses outside and hors d'oeuvres before dinner. Dinner began like all Italian meals do; a primi piatti consisting of a pasta dish. We had a pasta with zuchini and zuchini blossoms on top. Needless to say, it was awesome. This place was seriously out of a fairy tale... the sort of castle on top of the hill that princesses get married in. But back to the good stuff... the secondo piatti consisted of chicken, potatoes, and a salad. (I make it sound so boring, but in reality it had really fancy Italian names that I can't remember that make it sounds more delicious). Obviously it was amazing as well. Last but not least, we had la dolce; the sweet! Surprise, surprise.. they served us tiramisu. Although I am normally not a huge fan of this dessert, I decided to give it another chance in Italy. I have to admit... it is definitely growing on me. Which is probably a good thing considering that here people either eat 1) gelato or 2) tiramisu for la dolce. Anyway, the villa was incredible... I am so lucky to be here! I am reminded of that everyday.

Tuesday: School again from 9 to 330... but unfortunately for me, there was a bus strike starting at 4 p.m. until midnight so no bus for me home... Instead of walking the 45 min it takes me to get home on foot, I decided to stay at Ana's apartment for the day. During class we found out about beer pong tournament going on at a local bar that night and of course, being the typical Americans that we are, we decided to check it out. The bar we went to is called the Red Garter, and according to my homestay brother Tommaso, it used to be known for lots of rowdy bar fights back in the day but now it is pretty much an American student hang out. Fortunately for us, Americans seem to dominate at beer pong (sad but true: especially UCSB). But the best part of the night was that my roommate Kelly convinced Tommaso and his friend to come out with us and learn how to play! Let me make this clear.. I am no professional at beer pong, but for whatever reason I am not too bad at it. I do surprisingly well when I do decide to play. Anyway, I partnered up with Tommaso to teach him the ways of the game and we had a blast. The bar was crazy and there was barely any space to move.. but we actually won our first two games and made it to the next round! Unfortunately the next round was against my friends from school.. needless to say they beat us pretty fast but it was still a lot of fun.

Wednesday: It was not easy waking up for school. When I went out to get breakfast Tomasso made a joke that we should play coffee pong.. ha ha. He is so clever. Despite our language barrier, we joke around quite often. Wednesday mostly consists of me walking around the library like a zombie and going home to take a 2 hour nap... I will call it my siesta haha.

Today: School, again. Found a new caffe to study in in between my classes. GREAT panini and cappucino for a relatively low price. Also overlooking the Arno of course :) I can't wait for tomorrow though.. We are going on a group trip to Siena and San Gimignano which should be really fun. Saturday, Ana, Ariana, Bree and I plan on going to Cinque Terre and hiking from town to town. It is supposed to be beautiful there so I plan on take TONS of pictures to make you all even more jealous of my amazing life :)

Since we have to catch a bus at 8, I am going to head to bed since it is about 11 p.m. here. I hope everything is well with you all and please comment if you have questions or want to know more about what I am doing in this torturous life... :) Miss you all!

Abbracci e baci dall' Italia!


Sarah




No comments:

Post a Comment